Recommended Administration Schedule and Procedures for Juven®
Juven is a medical food supplement that should be used under medical supervision and as part of a complete, balanced diet. Juven can be taken orally or administered via a gastrostomy or nasogastric feeding tube.
2 packets per day, orally or by gastrostomy or nasogastric feeding tube.
Administering Juven orally:
Juven should be mixed with 8-10 oz of water or other liquid. Juven can be mixed into hot items, such as coffee or tea, as long as the liquid is below boiling point.†
Additional serving suggestions:
Juven can be mixed with a variety of foods to accommodate your patients’ diet. View our recipes
for more ideas.
Mixing and storage instructions:
Juven can be mixed ahead of time. Store in a clean container and consume within 4 hours if kept at room temperature or 24 hours if stored in a refrigerator. Packets are shelf-stable for 2 years.
Administering Juven through a gastrostomy or nasogastric feeding tube:
- Do not mix Juven with formula in a tube-feeding bag
- Pour one packet of Juven in a clean, small (approximately 6- to 8-fl-oz) container for mixing
- Add 4 fl oz (120 mL) water at room temperature
- Mix well with disposable spoon or tongue blade until all particles are completely hydrated
- Verify correct tube placement
- Flush feeding tube with 30 mL water
- Administer Juven through feeding tube using a 60-mL or larger syringe
- Flush with an additional 30 mL water (A smaller amount of water can be used to flush the tube if the patient is on a fluid-restricted diet)